Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Job News You Can Shower By

So, I really just want to write about all sorts of things today. In fact, this is the 6th blog I have attempted to write today. All the others just seem to stall halfway though what could have been a decent entry. I will probably revisit them a little later and see if I can’t get some of them functional for posting.

Aside from that, as a major move to DC appears to be eminent, I am sitting here trying to figure out what exactly this means for me. As some of you may already know, my plans to expedite transition if I move are top priority. This means that I will go from being part time at best to full time at least. This is a major change and I am scared of the employment ramifications of this. We will be moving to one of the most expensive places to live in this country, and I am planning on doing something that could greatly interfere with my “hireability”.

Ideally, I would like to take this clean slate and re-direct my career path. If I had my way, I would get some intern/volunteer job at one of the trans advocacy organizations located in DC and then work part-time doing something like being a barista, or working at a book store or art gallery, you know, the kind of job that you don’t really have to have any in depth discussions with random people.


At any rate, my dilemma lies in the fact that I have no clue how to get into one of these organizations. I really feel as though I could contribute in a positive way to the community. I have a fair understanding of what it means to be trans. I am well educated, articulate, and creative. In college I competed on the debate team and as such am a capable speaker. Heck, I even enjoy the “politics” behind it all!

Unfortunately, my education is in chemistry, and my work experience is in manufacturing. What does that leave me to do in DC? Please don’t say lab tech, I never wanted the chem degree in the first place!

Maybe I can just find an outlet for my art and start selling some pieces…. Yeah right…

In other news, I have successfully consumed almost an entire box of cereal today… If only Lucky Charms weren’t so freakin’ magically delicious! DAMN YOU LUCKY THE LEPRECHAUN!

Finally, a little talk about the common courtesies associated with hot water usage. As a general rule of thumb, and to be a mindful steward of hot water etiquette, there are a few rules that one must adhere to. First, when someone is showering, it is flat out rude and uncalled for to flush the toilet. Second, hot water is to be allocated solely to one function at a time, i.e. dishes, showering, shaving, or laundry. Third, when someone indicates that they are going to shower shortly, that is not them implying that now would be a good time to wash the dishes. Fourth, water heater timers have user override switches to allow hot water to be made at times dictated by the user, therefore they are not finite and can deviate from the pre-determined schedule. Fifth and finally, if you forget to mind any of the previously mentioned rules while someone is showering, please mind their objections and yield to the showering party.

Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. It takes a lot of courage to move into a new city and start new. And it takes even more courage to transition. On the other hand, life is one great adventure. We never know if we should hide behind a rock or to go for it.
    I for one am stuck in a small city and can't even transition right now, so I admire what you are about to do.
    I hope you'll find a job soon :-)
    Kev

    ReplyDelete